Wednesday, August 1, 2012

“Riding the Backdraft – In the Presence of a Champion”





You have to understand some things about me; one is that I am seldom impressed and certainly very rarely in awe of someone else.  The second thing is that although I am extremely competitive in most everything I do I have no such desire to compete in the athletic sense.  I was the girl in grade school who would ask the teacher can I skip recess and read instead so that I would not have to go through the humiliation of not being picked for dodge ball.  The only time I had some semblance of physical skill was when in high school I joined the Karate club.  That was because it was about fighting and I was always ready and able to fight.  So I grew up knowing my limitations relating to any sporting activity.  Even now as I continue to pursue doing CrossFit I know my limitations.  I know that even though I can get better, I won’t ever really get to the point where I can be considered an athlete or a competitor.  I got sucked into competing in the ‘Baby Games (beginners competition) about 7 months ago because apparently I had a momentary loss of sanity.  Of course I came in last; there go those limitations again.  Now this is not to say that I don’t enjoy the workouts or that I don’t try to do my best and even make improvements along the way because I do all of that.  I’m just a realist.  Which brings me to this dilemma, I am in AWE; I’m in awe of my husband and he has caused a warp in my thinking. 
He has just shown me that there are no limitations or obstacles that cannot be conquered if you have the will and the fortitude to defeat them.  My husband was on a quest, a quest to do well enough in the 400 meter race at the State Senior Olympics so that he can qualify to run in the nationals next year or so that is what he told me.  Here are the obstacles one by one.  First – he hadn’t run in over 25 years, second – he had to have surgery just when he was supposed to start training.  Third – as soon as he was able to recover from the surgery and start training he developed Plantar Fasciitis (an extremely painful foot condition), fourth – even with the foot situation he continued to train and then pulled a hamstring and then fifth – he pulled another hamstring.  Needless to say his training time was nowhere near enough to have a real chance at the race.  Then sixth – about a week and a half before the race he gets a terrible allergy condition that derailed his remaining training time.  I lived through all these issues with him.  Every Sunday when we went out to the track for his time trials I watched him in pain and agony.  I watched him come home to ice his foot or ice and massage his legs just so he could walk.  And yet he pushed forward every week, putting his body through torture.  I watched him load the bar and lift heavier and heavier weights every time he went to the CrossFit gym; I watched him push himself to levels I have not seen from him before. Then of course he would come home and do the ice and massage routine so that he could simply just function.  All during this time I would silently worry and ask myself, why is this so important to him, why can’t he just realize his limitations?  I did once comment to him that maybe God is telling him something with all these injuries.  At the time I did not understand the fire in him; I didn’t understand his need to push his body beyond his limitations, to push towards greatness just for the sake of accomplishment. 
In all our conversations about the upcoming race and there were many, he always told me that he just wanted to do well and of course qualify for the nationals.  Qualifying meant that he had to be at least 4th place.  He laboriously studied the times of the previous state races and the previous times of the regionals very carefully and deduced that he had a chance at 4th.  At least that's what he told me.  It seemed a reasonable plan; after all he still had so many obstacles (limitations) to overcome but 4th may be a possibility.  
                                                           
What I did not understand at that time was that my husband was a “Champion”.  The Heart of a champion does not accept anything other than victory, anything other than absolute defeat of an obstacle.  There are no excuses, no limitations; there is only the drive to Win.  It is ironic that what I have always known and practiced in other facets of my life I did not make that connection in how it relates to physical accomplishments.  It took my husband defeating all his obstacles to drive home this lesson.  He Won! The beauty of his run was the culmination of all his pain, struggle, determination and his unrelenting pursuit of victory. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A8IQacyquo&feature=youtu.be.  He is my hero and I need to ride his Backdraft; I need to embrace that tenacious spirit. 





No comments:

Post a Comment